Thursday, December 8, 2011

Aslan's Country is Home

My mentor at Immaculata, Sr. Sheila Galligan, wrote the following in her book on conversion in the works of C.S. Lewis entitled, SLOW-PACED WE COME:

The allusions to the image of homecoming are particularly effective in THE LAST BATTLE. To cite but one example, we read that when Jewel [the unicorn] discovers that Aslan's country is the fulfillment of his heart's longing he bursts forth in joy (LB, 162):
"I have come home at last! This is my real country! I belong here. this is the land I have been looking for all my life, though I never knew it till now. The reason why we loved the old Narnia is that it sometime's looked a little like this ... ."
Jewel, of course, has steadfastly "turned" toward Aslan and home throughout the story. He refused to believe in the false Aslan [Tashlan] and in his own way seeks to keep the others on the right path.

No comments: